Thursday, August 29, 2013

Lake - About me

COLLEGE!

After a very short summer, college move-in day was fast approaching.  Friends, family, and random high school acquaintances trying to get together for one last time before I went off to New Orleans.  It seemed like everyone forgot I was going off to school for a few months and started believing that I was joining the service and was never going to seen again.  My response was always the same, "three months!" 

Personally, I had very few negative thoughts in regards to separation.  Although life is always changing, I felt comfortable knowing that life probably wouldn't change much back home and that life was just beginning for me in the next stage of life that few are fortunate enough to go through.  COLLEGE!  College is supposed to be the time in one’s life where you have unlimited potential and opportunities in whichever field you could possibly imagine.  The world is your oyster.  This was my mindset for the closing moments of summer, but that would drastically change when I finally made it down to NOLA.  

My first night in New Orleans was very uneventful, mostly because I was in a hotel room with my mother.  Being in a hotel room for hours on end with nothing but you, your mom, and broken TV; can lead your mind, body, and soul pretty damn close to insanity.  I started thinking about everything I was missing back home (friends, EZOO, fun) and I started getting a little homesick.  As a music major industry and more than that, a passionate musician, writing a few lyrics got me through.  The next day (and the next week) made those previous feelings of homesickness disappear into thin air.  I have never been more of a believer in the saying, “everyday is a new day.”  I was able to meet such an influx of different people with similar goals and motivations that it was almost impossible to be homesick.  Whether being with fellow music industry majors, orientation buddies, or new people and professors that I’ve met in the past week, I have become fully submerged in the New Orleans and Wolfpack culture and family.  Coming from New York City, where everyone is out for themselves and looking for the worst people, it is a wonderful change of pace to come down to a city where people truly look for the best in people and have other people’s well-being and aspirations in heart.


1 comment:

  1. Just like you, my last few weeks at home were full of people realizing that I was indeed heading off to Loyola’s campus in a few short days. However, it was ridiculous because I was moved from right across the river. But wow! It sounds like you are just having an amazing transition into the swing of college life these past few days! Being a music industries major seems like it has some major perks in that it gives you a way to relieve some stress whenever the college life sends you into a panic (like we both know it can). Anyhow, good luck in your future college endeavors!
    Shelby Robertson

    ReplyDelete