Thursday, August 29, 2013

Morrell - Introduction

For the last twelve days, I think it's safe to say that I've been pushed out of my usual comfort zone, the routines I'm used to back home. And what can I say? So far, so good. Here are a few things I've learned to live by thus far in the very short period of time I have spent living in New Orleans:
-Lonely? Meet fellow smokers on the infamous smokers' bench outside Biever Hall. (Sounds a lot sketchier than it actually is, I swear.)
-Opt out on the coffee in the dining hall. I am a coffee snob, and I'm proud.
-Always, ALWAYS, wear flip flops in the showers.
-Set an alarm (or multiple) and disable the snooze option.
-Avoid The Boot at all costs. The Mushroom is right next door. I could spent hours going through the vinyls there instead of being sandwiched in between drunken college kids making out at The Boot.
-Sunday is the day everyone miraculously realizes that they should probably do laundry before the start of the new week. Pick another day to avoid the madness.
-Cheese grits: a gift from God on those rough mornings.
-Drink lots of water. The New Orleans heat and humidity is astounding.
-CC's Coffee on campus gives free refills on hot and iced coffee if you can remember to bring back your cup and receipt.
-Amazon > Campus Bookstore. Spending an excess amount of money on books makes you realize that you are already, most assuredly, a broke college kid.
-Audubon Park is beautiful. Just don't go alone at night.
-Bourbon Street is absolutely disgusting, and from my understanding, an obnoxiously touristy spot. However, I have heard good things about Frenchmen, just haven't ventured there quite yet.
-Don't be ashamed if you can't remember someone's name, they probably have forgotten yours too.
-They didn't lie on the campus tour. Loyola University New Orleans is most definitely one of the most diverse schools.
-Avoid wearing the Loyola lanyard around your neck. It's a tell tale sign that you're a freshman. (Nothing to be ashamed of, just saying.)
-Learn the art of coexisting. (The whole random roommate thing didn't work out so well for me.)
-Befriend your RA. I don't know about who everyone else is dealing with, but mine is awesome to just talk to but doubles as a great resource for me.
-Call your parents on a semi-frequent basis before they start calling you at unideal times.
I'm absolutely shocked that I could even come up with a list this long. With that being said, I'm sure it will be interesting to see how long this list will be by May.

443 words

1 comment:

  1. Cheese grits are the shit! Honestly hangover heaven , but really though some damn good advice girl haha preach!

    ReplyDelete