Thursday, August 29, 2013

Vielma - Introduction


In the past week I have discovered that I really like taking a lot of naps. I have never been so excited to get to my own bed since preschool. Being in a new environment this week has shown me that I actually enjoy things I didn't enjoy before, like more spicy foods, going to the gym with my friends, and just laying down in the quad smoking hookah. The most surprising thing I have encountered here has been my ability to really feel comfortable with people I have never met before and being able to mesh with new people. In high school I always had the same core group of friends, some coming and going but my best friends had always been the same. So coming here to New Orleans without any friends coming with me, I was really scared that I would have a hard time adjusting especially with my roommate and with my floor mates. But now after living here for about a week I feel completely comfortable especially in situations I wasn't comfortable with in the past. I am a lot more open to getting dressed up and just going out with my close friends here, I don't have a problem staying out late and worrying about the amount of sleep I would be getting that night. I am surprised at myself for really being able to put myself out there and experience new things with my new friends. Even though I have been going out with friends I'm also really surprised at myself for really enjoying all of my classes I'm in this semester, which is odd for me since I usually hate going to classes but here it's not so much a chore as something to keep me busy and actually enjoy. I have actually been doing homework surprisingly enough which is another accomplishment since my senior year I did the bare minimum. One thing that does almost feel like back home in Chicago, is the fact that this is a Jesuit school and I went to a Jesuit high school and our mascot was also the wolfpack so I don't have to buy any new gear because most of my things from high school I can wear here as Loyola gear. 
Although this is my first time being so far from home, I feel very comfortable here and that is a big relief and surprise. Coming into this school year I had a lot of doubts about school and if I could stand to be away from my family and friends for so long and so far away but I feel really happy with my decision to come down here since I've had some of the funniest nights of my life here and its only been the first week. 

1 comment:

  1. So, I totally understand your need for naps. I haven't actually slept more than four hours a night, and I have come to appreciate taking a break in between classes to catch a couple of z's. I also get the leaving your best friends. This is the first time in 15 years that my best friend and I are going to a different schools. Starting over is weird, but hey new people and new things are great...well that sounded cheesy.

    ReplyDelete