Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bogle - An Introduction

Born Devin D'Anne Bogle on June the ninth in 1995 in the great city of New Orleans, Louisiana. Minutes after being born, as my mother was cradling me, a nurse looked at her and said "Once a baby is born on the Mississpi, has a taste of this New Orleans water, they're destined to come back." After growing up in Connecticut, and going to an all girl's catholic preparatory school in Savannah, Georgia, I am back. I don't know if I can surely say that destiny is truly what brought me here, but I know I am beginning to love it.

My whole life I have been looking forward to choosing a college that is right for me. I always thought I would go to Brown University, Connecticut College or Boston University. The choice of Loyola University New Orleans, was such a surprising choice, not only to my family, but even to me. To be honest, I followed my best friend to Loyola. We met the beginning of my senior year and bonded over the mutual love of New Orleans. My plan was to attend Tulane, and visit him at Loyola. Well, I was rejected from Tulane. My first instinct was to go with Drexel University, in Philadelphia. But after much research, I realized how much New Orleans means to me. The culture here is so different than any other city in America. The amount of diversity is unbelievable. It is like being in multiple countries at once, while still feeling safe and at home. I realized that as much as I wanted to attend Tulane, I was more interested in living in New Orleans. This brought me to  my decision to apply to Loyola.

Once accepted, my pros and cons list began. The biggest pro of Loyola was Austin. It outweighed the co-op program at Drexel, their science, and being close to my paternal family. Once I told Austin my choice, we began to plan our future college experience. Although I wasn't one hundred percent satisfied with Loyola, I knew Austin would make up for that.

Move in day came and I got to work. I set up my dorm perfectly, but was upset that Austin was in Buddig instead of Biever. While I was loving my bedding, and the exposed brick, I still was unsure of Loyola. I felt like I had made the wrong decision. I decided Austin would probably make me feel positive about my decision. I called Austin to ask how he was, he hated it. He didn't feel comfortable with the students, the dorm, anything. This made me not just feel unsure, but it made me hate my decision to attend Loyola.

After my first floor meeting in my dorm, I went back to my room and cried. I felt I had made the worst decision of my life. My mom still hadn't left, so that night I stayed at the hotel with her. I told her I needed to drop out and go to Drexel. Drexel hadn't started yet, so the next day I called the admissions office. I asked if they still had my scholarship, it turns out they were holding it for me and had a spot open. During this time, Austin was calling Savannah College of Art and Design to ask if he could just go to school there.

Austin's parents and my parents are obviously very different. I do not know which parenting is better, and I think no one can be the judge of that. My father told me I needed to stick through Loyola and try my best for at least one semester and then I could talk about a different school. Austin, on the other hand was allowed to leave and go to SCAD. So the one true reason I was at Loyola, was gone. I was beyond upset. I felt as though I had made the worst decision of my life.

It has not even been a week since this has happened, and I am beginning to love Loyola. The professors here truly care about the students, the food is amazing, and I have already met amazing friends. Instead of an over competitive school, it is a school where students want to help each other out. Through this move in experience I have learned many lessons. The two most important being: independence is the most important trait to happiness and you can't hate something until you give it a chance. I am glad I am at Loyola, I know I am here for a reason. I do not hold anything against Austin, because he needed to make an independent decision for his happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment