Thursday, August 29, 2013

Falconer- Introduction



 For the last few months every time I told someone I was going to college in New Orleans their response has been "oh my gosh that's so awesome! your gonna have so much fun!!" And yes I knew I would. Now after living here for almost two weeks, I can say that it has not met my expectations but exceeded them tremendously.

I have learned a few new things both in and out of the classroom. I went to my first day of classes anxious and excited. I have always pictured college as this whole new world with enormous classes and professors that don’t even know your name. I was so happy to learn that at Loyola my class sizes are reasonable and my teachers are committed to me doing well in their class. From doing a few of my first assignments I have realized that they aren’t just going to throw things at me that I can’t do. I feel much more confident that if I put in work this school year will go smoothly.

All of high school I slept at friends houses as much as possible and couldn’t wait to be living on my own. It was interesting to learn that moving out has actually been one of the hardest things I have ever done. Living with someone is more difficult than you think no matter how well you get along. My roommate is fantastic but I am always worried that something I’m doing is bothering her. Everything I do in our room effects both of us and that’s going to really take some getting used to. I pretty much need to consider her in every decision I make that relates to the room and that’s going to require a lot of empathy and selflessness for the both of us. I’ve noticed that she is so polite sometimes I need to do something without her asking. For example the other day she was studying in the room and I asked if I should stay and she said it was fine but I soon realized she probably needs some peace and quiet.

And then of course there are lessons to learn about parties. The other night I went to a Tulane party and a girl from down the hall had clearly too much to drink. Her roommate stood by her side all night and put up with her to get her home safely. That taught me that is important to make friends that have your back in case of an emergency. I look forward to learning much more these next four years and taking advantage of every new experience! 

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand where you're coming from when it comes to learning how to deal with living with someone. Unfortunately, my roommate and I don't have a whole lot in common making things even more difficult, but it's good to know that even if you do get along with your roommate, you still face similar issues. On another note, in a place like New Orleans, I, too, have learned that it is crucial to surround yourself with people you can trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same about having a roommate! She doesn't say anything, but I feel like what I'm doing is annoying her. And I'm always trying to have conversation with her, and I end up talking and talking and talking, and she doesn't really say much. I didn't realize until I moved in with someone that so many of my decisions would affect this person (i.e. when I wake up, when I go to sleep, if she likes the music I play when I'm hanging out, talking on the phone with family members. And those are just a few !!) .

    ReplyDelete