Thursday, August 29, 2013

Hasty- Introduction

Hello my name is Anna Hasty and I moved here from San Antonio, Texas. Although I have lived in Texas my entire life, I was raised on the New Orleans culture because my family lives here. I have visited New Orleans more times than I can count. I've seen it during Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, and even a couple weeks after Hurricane Katrina. Due to the fact that I was raised with the New Orleans lifestyle and have seen so much of it, I assumed that coming to Loyola wouldn't change all that much about myself. I couldn't be more wrong. I've learned about so much in a short amount of time:
-Always buy coffee from the CC. They give you free refills- and that's awesome.
-I thought I would hate having a roommate because I've never had to share a room before, but I absolutely love it. Learn to compromise and it's all great. 
-Learn from the people around you. Our freshman class has people from so many different places all around the world and every single one of them can tell you something that you didn't know before.
-It's not high school anymore, you don't have to be around people all day that you don't like. This week has taught me to only spend your time with people that make you smile and make your life better, otherwise you're wasting time that could be spent with much more enjoyable people.
-Never try to impress people. If you don't feel like putting on a nice outfit, pull on some sweats and rock them. Be comfortable.
-Don't let people scare you about the "Freshman 15." You're in New Orleans, people travel across the world to try the food so readily available to you. Eat as much food as you want, whenever you want.
-Learn as much as you can. During Wolfpack Welcome, it was said that only 1% of the world's population have the incredibly opportunity that we have. So go to all your classes, take it all in, and don't let such a great education go to waste.
-Go to The Boot at least once. It's scummy, but in all honesty college is the only time you can be scummy and people find it somewhat acceptable.
-Remain happy. Find positivity in every situation, because your time here will only be as good as you make it.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Anna! I love your advice! You have so many interesting and great things to say! I especially love the "college is the only time you can be scummy and people find it somewhat acceptable" line. I hope you continue to learn and advise others on what to do here at Loyola in New Orleans. I also hope that you continue to love this majestic city of New Orleans and don't get too homesick. We should definitely hang out sometime so we can learn from each other and experience this great city. Maybe we can even go to The Boot (even though I'm from here I've never actually been)! Best Wishes, Linsey Shubert

    ReplyDelete