Thursday, August 29, 2013

Garcia-Ruiz_hey y'all

 I never expected to be a student at Loyola, I was so close to going to Columbia College Chicago but after my first week here I can say that I feel like I've made the right decision. I was pretty nervous about meeting new people and what to expect from my classes but I made a few friends and so far I like my classes. I wasn't so nervous about living with my roommate since we requested each other and I met her at Warped Tour. New Orleans and Orlando are the only two places I have visited…EVER so I did get homesick around the first few days because I logged onto Facebook and saw posts from my friends. I'm a music industry major so most of my classes deal with music, technology and theory. At first I wasn’t so sure if I wanted to stick with my major but every professor in the music program definitely gave me more confidence to continue with what I love.  I have done a lot of reading and note taking more than ever. I have never had a music theory class so this will be very interesting. I couldn’t even figure out simple notes on a staff for homework, guess I have much to learn. I got lost trying to find my global history class on Wednesday so that was a bit embarrassing but I got over it. I try to sit in the front row for my global history class since I wasn't a huge fan of history in high school. My professor tries to make class funny by saying that he drinks a lot of coffee and takes “drugs”. When I walked into my intro to music technology class, I got really excited because I saw midi keyboards on the tables.  My favorite artist Grimes uses all this technology to write her songs so I’ll finally know what they’re called and how they work. So far I haven't had lunch by myself because I find people to eat with, which have made my week here better. I’m still waiting on the day that one of them won’t want to go and I’ll be the awkward chick sitting by herself.  I have yet to explore the city like crazy but I have gone to the French Quarter and a few other places. It’s a different vibe than from Dallas but I love it and I can’t wait for the rest of my years here.

1 comment:

  1. Mena, you were the first real friend I made at Loyola and i'm super glad! You are an awesome person and I promise you that the homesickness won't stay long! I can't wait to have you as my friend for the next four years! You have a rad taste in music and you are one of the most calm, chill friends I have!

    ReplyDelete