Thursday, August 29, 2013

Arceneaux- Introduction to myself!

Well, my first week was definitely one of the most interesting weeks of my life. I was anxious, distraught, and fumbling all over myself. But isn't that what a first week is supposed to be? My first class was Theory 1 with Professor Horne. I thought I was going to fail out the first day, honestly. I had never really taken that much musical theory in high school, so I was scared white. But alas, I survived my first theory class! It was truly a triumph! My second difficult battle of the day was learning how to play piano. I'm a music major that plays Tuba, but I never thought that piano would be one of the most difficult instruments to play. The professor is extremely helpful though so I believe I will do pretty well in that class. I breezed through my Prelude to Music Education classes and my Foundations of Multicultural Education. Those two classes are mainly philosophical and ideological courses which is great for me because I can work up a mean argument. My last class of the week will be University Band. it would have been Wind Ensemble had I had a better audition but I absolutely butchered mine. There isn't much to be disappointed about though, I tried my hardest and I was proud of the work that I did in just one day. That is really all that matters to me honestly. Everyday when I get home has been the same. I pull up, grab my books and sling them over my shoulder, trudge to my kitchen, and replace the lost calories that I have expended while learning. I promise that is not an excuse just to eat. This past week I have witnessed sandwiches that have flown by my face faster than the speed of light. My guess? Someone was late for their next class. Of course I thought this was a strange sight but then I realized that I only had five minutes to travel across campus and the worst thing of all: I was wearing oxfords. By the time the day ended (mind you, this was Wednesday) I had blisters the size of my thumb on the back of my feet, and let me tell you my thumbs are NOT small. Needless to say, I opted for a more comfy pair today. Overall, i'm eclectic about starting the next phase of my life here at Loyola. I never really has a second opinion about choosing another school. I knew I had to go to Loyola, not only because of their music program but also because of their Journalism and Writing programs. I think that eventually I will change my major to Music with Elective Studies in order to pursue my dream of writing for a music magazine conducting interviews, going on tour, etc. I love the faculty here and although I know that the years will be hard, the knowledge I will gain and the experiences that I have will be worth it in the end. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Nick , This is one heck of a story. I have been musically involved all of life and to hear this story of you staying strong , was eccentric. Life changing , and its going to push me to go straight to the stars. I cant wait to build an everlasting bond with you , so we help eachother achieve our ever so beautiful dreams . I love you Nick , You ARE beautiful inside and out .

    ReplyDelete