Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Williams- Why couldn't it be film rouge?


Tim Burton definitely uses themes of film noir in his movie Batman. According to the article, film noir can be described as full of shadows, placed in a isolated feeling city, have a conflicted hero, terse dialogue, and of course a femme fatale. 
The use of shadows is quite effective in this movie. It sets the mood. The movie starts in the shadows of the city of Gotham. It’s dark; it’s shady, and it’s a little bit frightening. Gotham has the feel of a dark, isolated city. As I watch the movie, I think of old school detectives and classy gangsters of the 40’s. However, maybe its is because my opinion is slightly jaded by the recent Dark Knight, I feel that Burton is making fun of some the film noir characteristics. The lines are over done and the facial expressions are cheesier than an extra cheesy pizza. It made me feel like a bad person when I laughed at one more of the violent scenes or serious moments. Moments like when Batman spreads his cape, a person is electrocuted so bad that they burn to a crisp, or when Vicki Vale screams or faints at every sudden movement made me giggle more than cringe. I realize that this movie has a dark plot, but under that I can’t help feel like there are subtle hints of humor at play also.
Bruce Wayne is the perfect character choice for the conflicted hero. He has it all, and he has nothing. He is like the dog that wishes he could fly. His parent’s murders have psychologically damaged him. He is not evil, but he is dangerous. He follows his own moral code whether it follows the law or not. However, I am not sure of the choice to use Michael Keaton as Batman. I understand the Burton likes to reuse his characters, but every time I looked into Bruce Wayne’s face I see Bettleguese.
Burton also utilizes a femme fatale in his movie. However, instead of being a sexy siren that likes to control men and the world she lives in, she is an attractive independent woman who is down to earth and humble. She is different from the usual aggressive, power hungry females normally portrayed as femme fatales, and I like how Burton strays from that.
Overall the movie does fit the typical film noir movie, but it’s the characteristics that he undermines and manipulates that make it a signature of Tim Burton.  


No comments:

Post a Comment