Friday, December 6, 2013

Vielma- Its only goodbye for now



This class has been a unexpected journey. I though taking this class would be relaxing and care-free but it really made me think about every Tim Burton movie I've ever seen and will see in the future. These films that I once only saw as creepy and weird since Burton was weird. But after analyzing his movies we see how his movies aren't weird because he is but because weirdness is one thing we tend to see as not normal but Burton wanted to show how not being normal is ok. Burton puts a piece of himself in every movie he makes, not only in adding some sort of quirkiness that has been prevalent in his life, like the dislike to suburbs because they force normality and conformity. This dislike is seen in Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, Beetlejuice and in his works in The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy. Not only does he connect his movies to his own life but he creates the movies with a lot of darkness. I first saw this darkness simply as creepy qualities of himself in movies but I now see this darkness as a way to show the darkness inside of his characters. I first really disliked Burtons take on the Batman movies, because of this darkness and such a gloomy look on Gotham city. Now after this class I see that the gloomy darkness seen in Gotham city not only represents the destruction going on in the city but the destruction going on in Bruce and his villains like the Penguin, Catwoman and the Joker. All of these characters struggle with their feelings and the loneliness they feel and the darkness inside of them due to that loneliness. 
I never thought anything of most of this signature actions Burton includes in many of his movies. But now in analyzing these movies I see how Burton is simply an artist trying to create his mark on the world. And I really enjoy the mark Burton is trying to leave on the world. In the weird and creepy movies Burton has made so popular and mainstream he is converting weirdness to something normal. His works all show how being odd is never a negative. In being odd and weird Lydia finds a true home in Beetlejuice, Edward finds love in Kim in Edward Scissorhands, and Sweeney Todd finds comfort in killing in Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and Ed Wood finds comfort in dressinf like a woman in Ed Wood. All of these characters are incredibly odd but find comfort in their oddness. Burton's movies are perfect examples on why being odd is so normal. I consider myself to be quite weird. I'm weird, I've been called that my entire life, but I love being weird. It means I'm not conformist, it means I'm an individual. I've never had to question who I am because I've always been content with being weird. Regardless of my surroundings I keep to being weird. I think this is what Burton tries to get across in his movies, even saying stating that in Alice in Wonderland,  "you're mad. Bonkers. Off your head... but I'll tell you a secret... all of the best people are."




No comments:

Post a Comment