Friday, December 6, 2013

Prevost-Wrapping up the course

Throughout the course I have learned how to critically analyze a motion picture, give positive and negative feedback on a film, and also how to write a proper movie review. Also this class has helped me with writing using MLA format. Another helpful and very interesting aspect of the film world that I learned was how to properly present a mise-en-scene analysis. The scene analysis were very interesting and it was very eye opening on how you are able to predict outcomes of movies based on one still frame of a film. This course also taught me a lot of key elements in Tim Burton’s movies such as his favorite collaborators Helena Bonham Carter, Jonny Depp, Winona Ryder, and many more. Also the grotesque elements in his film and how he repeatedly references back to hiss childhood and past life experiences in the films. My favorite Tim Burton film that we watched and discussed was “Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” because of the Victorian Era style and the gruesome and twisted plot. He kills his wife, the only one person that could make him happy, and he ruined his only chances. Mrs. Lovett who only wants Sweeny Todd to be happy, but with her is the reason that Sweeny’s wife was murdered, she had him believing she was just a homeless lady up to no good. So they infinitely ruined both of their chances of ever having a happy life. The one thing I wish we would’ve discussed would be why didn’t Sweeny Todd ever realize that his daughter was Joanna and tried to save her, I feel as if he was so focused on revenge that he forgot what and who he was actually providing clarity and justice for. My favorite Burton picture is the beach scene in “Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” where Mrs. Lovett and Sweeny Todd are sitting on a beach towel and both of their attitudes are complete opposite of one another. It shows the differences of two people’s idea of a happy ending. Sweeny Todd only wants revenge and Mrs. Lovett only wants Sweeny Todd. My first semester of college has been very nerve racking, but the hardest week has still not come to a close. Finals next week are just making me cringe and my toes curl, I feel as if I cannot prepare enough. Because some of the teachers’ exams are just insanely difficult covering topics and information we have yet to discuss fully in class. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and face fact if I want a diploma and a job in a few years. Aside from the fact that my roommate was awful and the fact that I was homesick, I guess my first semester was great, maybe. Aside from all of that nonsense I’m very glad I took this course it made my Tuesday and Thursday nights enjoyable! I loved the information we were learning about it was very interesting. Thanks for a great semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment