Thursday, December 5, 2013

Turnage,Olivia - Reflective Blog(last blog)

During this course I have not only learned how to analyze thoroughly to get to its deeper meaning but I have learned why things might be what they are. I have learned that things that mostly go unnoticed such as lighting can hold such great significance to the true meaning behind a scene. By us specifically focusing on the author and producer, Tim Burton I have learned his reasoning behind his work. In the beginning of the course I had a view of Tim Burton just having a gothic eccentric mind because it was what he liked, but now after the course I have almost a full understanding of why all his works include or revolve around some type of gothic matter. Because Burton allowed his child hood to affect the outcome of his work, I started to reflect of this idea and began seeing a lot of the things I do is because of my past. From this course I got the true understanding of “your past affects your future”. The quote became more profound to me because I actually got see the affect in another individual. We learned in this course that Tim Burton had a demining child hood. He was looked at as an outcast and was not even accepted by his own parents. I seen how this played a role in his productions, all his main characters had a trace of him within them. They lacked a sense of understanding of why they were created (Edward Scissorhand ). Sometimes Burton would use the characters to show a overview his own life. Tim Burton would give a background of how a character was treated poorly or they had or how they had something like a impact, take place to change their outlook on life; Burton used this method both in tricksters and what he made seem to viewers as ,super heroes. All though we always came to conclusion in class that Tim Burton was the way he is because of his child hood, I do not completely base it on that idea. I say this because there have been a lot of people who have conquered over neglect ,abuse and the feeling of being out casted who that have a sound mind. Not to say that Tim Burton does not have a sound mind, but it his way though is not seen as normal to our present society. But at the same time who am I, or anyone else to say what is normal? Because maybe to Tim Burton an the common cast who he surrounded himself with , his gothic ways , harsh humor and thought process was seen as normal. So in all to say this Tim Burton class taught me a way of thinking, by not only looking at the top surface but digging deeper to get a profound meaning as to why things happen the way did . this also help me reflect of me as a individual, it gave me a outlook on my first semester showing me that the decisions I make now will affect my outcome in things as little as a grade or larger things as getting accepted into a program. Tim Burton has taught me the philosophical meaning “your past effects your future

No comments:

Post a Comment