Friday, December 6, 2013

Buzaid- Tootles Tim Burton


This course, The World of Tim Burton, has been my favorite part of college thus far (academically speaking.) It has opened up a whole new world to finding the deeper meaning behind things, specifically film. What was so appealing about this course was the focus on reading visuals and making connections with the seen and unseen. More so, I should say watching the film and taking in the storyline, characters, setting, and linking it with either a controversial issue, a statement, or a message. For example, Edward Scissorhands is a film I originally watched and enjoyed because I liked the plot. Now, after watching the film in class and making interpretations with my classmates, I have come to enjoy the film for more than just the interesting storyline. Rather, I have gained respect for the film and its play on conservative societies and outcast individuals.  I was not expecting to find so many of Tim Burton’s morals, and himself as a person, in each and every one of his films. With every picture Tim Burton has worked on, he morphs the story to mean something to his life story and views. In return, he is able to create films that audiences can understand, relate to, and make their own meaning of.

I was taken a bit back when I watched Tim Burton’s Batman. It was my first time watching the two movies done by him and I was totally not expecting to the like them so much. I have always been a fan of Batman as a super hero. Although, before this class I had never taken into mind of how much of a tortured character Bruce Wayne really was. I think it was because of the way Burton portrayed him through Michael Keaton. Burton has good taste in actors, there is some sort of comfort in knowing that he likes to reuse actors in his films- making his own family and such. Another great thing about Burtons Batman was that his artistic side really came out. Through the settings and scenery- shots and framing, he reflected the mood of the film in the dark musty colors.

I have a lot of respect for Tim Burton as a director, but what makes me love him as an entertainer is his undying ability to instill his crude humor in almost all of his creations. From Beetlejuice, to Catwoman, to the parents of the Oyster Boy, Burton has a character with a twisted sexual jokes. Without fail he can capture the attention of any audience, whether they like it or not.

Because of this course, I have a new found love for film. Most of my phone calls to back home have held conversations on this class about all the assignments and the time I have put in for it. As well as sharing with my family everything that I know about Tim Burton and his personal twists in his movies, (and telling my parents to watch the movies too!)  It is true when I say that I am not leaving from this course with zero knowledge. Instead, I am taking wider eyes for visual observations.
Honestly, if I had never taken The World of Tim Burton, I would have continued my future on with under appreciating a lot of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment