Friday, December 6, 2013

Lilly - Final Blog

 

When I told some of my friends that I was taking a class on Tim Burton they were definitely jealous and they were right to be because this class was pretty cool. The assignments for this class made me think a lot more and pay closer attention to the movies that we watched where as normally I wouldn’t think as deeply into things. It was also awesome that we just got to watch movies for half of our classes. I got to see movies I haven’t seen in a long time and movies that were on my list to watch but never did. I think my favorite film we watch was Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street; I wasn’t that into movies when it first came out so I never really had any intent to watch it or even knew of it. I have a decent size movie collection and this movie is certainly one I want to add to it, it’s a movie I could watch more than once or twice. It was the perfect movie to show how relatable some villains are, the corruption of power, and a twisted sense of justice. It was dark and mesmerizing all the while adding music to match. It’s uncommon to see a movie with the main character being evil and cruel but this story does it in a way that causes the viewer to be sympathetic with Todd because they know why he does the things he does and the reason for his insanity. Learning what we did about Tim Burton definitely gave me a different perspective to his movies considering all the Biographical Criticism there is in them. College is the place you hear some of the most interesting stories and life experiences. This first semester at Loyola has certainly given me such experiences, some very unneeded. It’s a cool place to be as long as you get a roommate you actually like (wrong roommate can make it miserable). The teachers here, at least the ones I got, are all pretty nice, fair, and always willing to help. There were a few things that stood out to me the most like: how many different kinds of skateboards there were, how many people did not know how to do laundry or make food, how everyone kind of does look the same, and other things. One of the things I don’t like about college in general is that is a place you go to have a career goal and go after it. They tell you that you need to know what you want to do and these are the classes you need to take and to forget about other stuff because there isn’t really any room for them. It’s hard to be in a place you don’t want to be and succeed, especially if you’re the kind of person that doesn’t care for thinking about the future and just takes things as they come. I have a lot of miscellaneous interest like film, art, psychology, neuroscience, astronomy, philosophy, etc. but they’re not things I want careers in, they’re just hobbies. Perhaps though, since it’s just the first semester and Loyola seems like a pretty cool place, I will get to take some of those classes and end up with a career goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment